A common condition, sinusitis is inflammation of the lining of the sinuses, typically caused by a viral or bacterial infection.
The sinuses are small, air filled cavities behind your cheekbones, forehead and eyes and either side of the bridge of your nose. They open into your nose and allow mucus to drain.
- a blocked or runny nose
- facial pain and tenderness
- high temperature (fever) of 38°C (100.4°F) or more
- sinus headache (dull throbbing pain in upper face, which may get worse when you move your head)
Conventional medical treatment of sinusitis includes analgesia for pain relief, steam inhalation and possibly antibiotics if the condition is very severe and there are signs of infection.
ACUPUNCTURE FOR SINUSITIS
Research suggests that acupuncture may help relieve symptoms of sinusitis such as nasal congestion. More research is needed. Acupuncture may also help to relieve symptoms of sinusitis by:
- Increasing the production of endorphins ( the body’s natural pain killers)
- Changing how the brain processes pain
- Increasing circulation
- Reducing inflammation
- Stimulating the body’s natural immune response
Judy Bowen-Jones Lic Ac BSc Hons Ac MBAcC
Research Fact Sheets
For more information see the British Acupuncture Council Research Fact Sheet below.